As we become more familiar with Thought Work, we realize that all of our feelings are caused by the thoughts we think.
This is a powerful realization for most people. And it makes people want to change their thinking immediately. “Oh, this thought is making me feel bad! I need to choose a better thought!” Now, this may work occasionally, but it’s not really that simple.
We must first start with awareness. Bringing attention to the feeling itself and then to the thought causing it. If we brush past the emotion too quickly and ignore it just to get to a better thought, we risk the habit of toxic positivity.
Toxic positivity is when you think your entire life is supposed to be happy and positive, so you’re afraid to feel negative emotions. You rush through them.
This is a problem because if you ignore your negative emotions, they could fester and keep coming back. You also might find yourself over-eating or over-drinking to numb the pain of negative emotions, because you don’t trust yourself to handle them.
In today’s episode, you’ll learn how to bring awareness to all of your emotions, even the difficult ones, and process your feelings in a way in which you will learn from them and allow them to move out of your body.
Listen to Episode 27 to learn how processing your emotions can help you to know yourself more and make it possible to tap into your unique inner wisdom.
What You’ll Get From This Episode:
- How avoiding your emotions leads to more anger and arguments
- Why you need to process your emotions if you’re going to make consistent change
- How to calm your nervous system when you feel intense emotions
- Three steps to process your emotions that will help you feel calmer, more in control, and more in tune with your wiser self.
Mentioned On The Show:
- Sign up for the Free Facebook Membership HERE.
- Listen to episode 18 The Discomfort of Human Growth Here.
- If you’d like to ask questions or tell me what you think, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Go to https://www.rachaelcunningham.com/ for free classes.
- Book a free consultation and learn more about 1:1 coaching HERE.
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcast, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave Joyful Love a review in Apple Podcasts (Click the “Listen In Apple Podcast” button to leave a review!)